1. The goal is blood sugar control AND performance!
2. Know how your medications work and how they will impact your exercise performance.
3. Pay attention to your insulin (type 1 and type 2).
4. Be responsible. (I also think of this as the scouts’ mantra: be prepared and my own (borrowed from the Satellite Sisters): carry your own skis.)
5. Track your trends and write down what you do.
To be honest, I think these apply to all athletes. It’s just that those of us with diabetes are extra conscious of 1-3.