Read over this page to learn all about the Cycling Programs!
Cycling Training Programs for 100 miles, 100 kilometers (62 miles) and 50 kilometers (31 miles) are available!
Train for your cycling event with weekly plans and support from your cycling, diabetes, nutrition and mental skills coaches!
TeamWILD is a transformative, integrated approach to success for the athlete on the bike who has diabetes – YOU!
Cyclists of all abilities are encouraged to participate!
From The Desk Of: Mari Ruddy, Team WILD Director
Date: Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015
Dear Aspiring or Experienced Cyclist,
Do you want to better understand how to train for an endurance cycling event with diabetes? Have you ever been afraid to go out on a long ride because you weren’t sure about how to manage your blood sugars with your nutrition needs? In fact, do you ever wonder, what are your nutritional needs on the bike? Have you ever wished you had a cycling coach that would tell you what to do on the bike each week?
Believe me, I can relate. I wanted all of that for so long. I’ve had diabetes for 30 years and I have felt very alone about my diabetes and my cycling. I was alone and confused. My a1c was really bad, over 12, in fact. Over the years on my bike, I made so many mistakes, I’m almost embarrassed to admit it to you. For such a long time I didn’t think I was a good enough cyclist to get help or to get a coach, so I just kept struggling alone for a long time. I don’t want that for you.
Fortunately for me (and now you), I found a way to solve these problems. I started a lifelong journey to find the right people, the right diabetes experts, the right cycling coaches. I wanted people who would work together to help me understand the complexities of diabetes and exercise. And my first sport of choice was cycling. I wanted experts who would listen to me and help me understand how to eat, how to manage my medications, who would help me become a stronger more efficient cyclist, and who would not make fun of me or make me feel stupid when I made a mistake or didn’t understand.
I figured out a way to put it all together in training plans for you, that you get in your email inbox every week. You get information from your cycling coach, from your expert, certified diabetes coach, from a diabetes nutrition expert and from your mental skills coach. And you get to write to them as often as you need to, to get support to get you to that start line and if you want, to help you improve your performance. I figured out how to make it feel personal and make it accessible from wherever in the world you are, getting ready to ride!
“How TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs Help You … “
Here’s a quick recap of how TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs work and what you get and what’s the REAL VALUE is of what TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs really are!
Choose your distance, and TeamWILD will train you for 18 weeks, 16 weeks or 14 weeks – it all depends on the distance of your event
We have programs for those who want to participate in 100 mile cycling events, 100 kilometer cycling events and 50 kilometer cycling events.
- The 100 mile training programs are 18 weeks.
- The 100 kilometer programs are 16 weeks.
- The 50 kilometer cycling programs are 14 weeks.
Tell us about your athletic background and what your goals are for your event
Once you sign up for one of our programs, we call you a TeamWILD athlete. We believe that success on the bike begins with the mental attitude you have. I learned this is a system of thinking that changed my life, so we offer it to you. Be an athlete first!
If you’re signing up for a 100-mile program, we have two levels:
- FINISHER. Finishers are those cyclists who will be doing the training distance for the first time and your goal is to finish happy, strong, with good or excellent diabetes management and wanting to do it another time.
- COMPETITOR. Competitors are those of you who have done at least one event at the distance and your goal is to improve your time, improve your strength, to master your diabetes management and nutrition strategies. Competitors want to improve performance.
For the 50 kilometer and 100 kilometer cycling training programs we support finishers. Whether you’ve done this distance before or not, our training program will help you successfully meet your goals!
For both the 100 mile and 100 kilometer distances, you need to have between 4 to 12 hours per week for the duration of the training program that you can dedicate to time on the bike (using an indoor cycling trainer, where you put your bicycle on a device that allows you to mimic riding your own bicycle, is okay for those of you in climates where the weather doesn’t allow you to ride outside for some of the training season.)
For the 50K program, our expectation for this level is that you can already ride your bike for 30 minutes without stopping to rest. We will help you build from there to being able to complete your 50 kilometer event with great diabetes and nutrition strategies!
Tell us when your event will be; this will tell us when you need to start your TeamWILD Cycling Training Program
We want to know what your event is and when it will be held. We can then count backwards from your event day the number of weeks that the training program will be, and that will tell us your training program START DATE. All TeamWILD cycling training programs start on a Sunday.
Here are three examples of how this works:
- Heather plans to ride the 50 kilometer (or 30 mile) route of the Tour de Cure San Diego on April 20, 2013. She needs 14 weeks for her training program. Thus, she will start her training program on Sunday, January 14, 2013.
- Jim plans to ride the 100 kilometer route of the Tour de Cure Tucson on March 3, 2013. He needs 16 weeks for the training program. Thus, he will start on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
- Jen plans to ride the 100 mile route of the Tour de Cure Twin Cities on June 1, 2013. She needs 18 weeks for the program. Thus, she will start her program on Sunday, January 27, 2013.
What the Training Programs Look Like & What you get each week
Sample a training week for one of our cycling programs.
Once you go through the Registration and Intake Process and you are placed in the correct program, and we know your start day and the start day has arrived, your TeamWILD Cycling Training Program will begin!
Each week, you get these things in your email inbox:
1. Written Cycling Training plans from the TeamWILD Cycling Coaches Nicole Freedman and Amy McGuire. Your coaches will tell you the number of rides you should do each week and what type of ride for each ride. All the terms they use are explained and there are even weekly videos that accompany the plans, so throughout the season you will get to know Coach Nicole and Coach Amy. Such things as one legged drills, threshold rides, heart rate zone training, periodization, and how to do active recovery are covered.
2. Diabetes Education Clinics as diabetes education relates to endurance sports and cycling. Each week there is a mini-lesson about something related to increasing your knowledge, comfort and strategies for your diabetes management on the bike. Such things as basal testing, dialing in your medications, understanding the actions of insulin, understanding how exercise helps with blood sugar control, predicting and responding to low blood sugars and high blood sugars and much more are covered. Different materials will address issues for those using insulin and those who control their diabetes with oral agents or no medication. There are written materials and videos from the diabetes team, all of whom are certified diabetes educators with deep and wide knowledge about endurance sports and diabetes. Each week there will be an ACTION ITEM for you to practice while doing your cycling.
3. Nutrition Education Clinics are presented each week since nutrition and hydration are critical components for any endurance athlete, especially those of us with diabetes. The TeamWILD nutrition team will give you written lessons and video lessons each week to help you understand how to maximize your diabetes and cycling performance for your event.
4. Mental Skills Clinics. Endurance sports are as much a mental game as a physical game. Every top level Olympic athlete considers and most use visualization, goal setting, breathing techniques and mental training. At TeamWILD we believe athletes (YOU ARE AN ATHLETE IF YOU’VE READ THIS FAR!) with diabetes need to work on their mind as much as their body. So three times throughout your training program you will get a special training clinic from our Mental Skills Coach Ginger Vieira. She will help you set your goals, keep you motivated and help you learn about the power of your mind in increasing performance.
A few important things you get with TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs…
- Unlimited email support from the TeamWILD athletic, diabetes and nutrition coaches. Yes, you read that correctly. It’s our first year and we don’t really know exactly how much support our TeamWILD athletes will need, so we built it into our start-up plan to provide as much support as you might need. That said, we do not intend or want to replace your home diabetes management team. In fact, we expect you to have a fully functioning team that supports your athletic pursuits. We are a compliment and a support to your health, wellness and fitness. And our goal is to answer your questions, and coach you to the finish line of your event.
- Live webinars with the TeamWILD athletic, diabetes and nutrition coaches. Once again, you read that correctly. Once we have critical mass and there are a bunch of you doing the programs, we will invite you to at least one live webinar with your coaches during your training program. There is no additional cost to attend these webinars, all you have to do in order to attend is have a question for the staff. You will submit your question when you sign up! We will record all the webinars and keep an open library of the recordings for you while you are enrolled in the training program.
Teamy Goodness groups. We believe in the power of a team, so we have a few different ways that we will connect you to other athletes in your sport.
A few other important things about TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs
You will be trained by one of the best cycling coaches ever, Nicole Freedman
Our Olympic cyclist and former pro for 12 years, Coach Nicole Freedman, is one of the most outstanding cycling coaches anywhere. She can teach anyone and help literally any one of any skill get to the next level. She brings humor, patience, knowledge, fun, empowerment, laughter to the process of coaching you to your event. She is an expert, she will push you in a fun way to be better than you ever thought you could be. Nicole makes cycling one of the most fun things you could ever do. Plus, Nicole has been working with cyclists with diabetes for over 10 years, so for someone without diabetes, she gets the challenges of diabetes!
You will learn from the incredible TeamWILD Diabetes Coaches
I mentioned earlier that I went out to find the best for me and for you. The key to all of this is an incredible coach and incredible diabetes educators. The team TeamWILD has assembled is unmatched. You can read about them all on their bios on the TeamWILD website. Here are a few quick highlights about each of these amazing teachers.
Marcey Robinson – Marcey has tons of energy, passion, and she is super knowledgable. She is an incredible teacher, she is a wealth of resources, she explains things well and super clearly, she is approachable, and she is herself an athlete. She is first a cyclist, and in fact did some competitive mountain biking back in the day. After a season with Marcey, you will love carbs and understand why. Marcey has incredible knowledge about exercise physiology and it is from that basis that she will teach you to understand what is going on in your body as you learn incredibly useful information about how to master your diabetes care on the bike. She is an expert in type 2 and type 1 diabetes.
Jenny Smith – Jenny is super smart too (I only hire super smart people, so you know!) Thus she is knowledgable about type 2 and type1 diabetes. Jenny is calm yet very passionate about helping people with diabetes get the information and skills they need to be empowered athletes. Jenny is herself living successfully with type 1 diabetes. She is an athlete, in fact was on the first TeamWILD team and is a 70.3 finisher, and a marathoner. She understands special needs diets and is she is a plant-based vegan and is a gifted cook. One of Jenny’s loves is diabetes data analysis.
Meet one of your diabetes team. This is Jenny Smith!
Mental Skills Give You Confidence & Boost Your Performance
Lots of other organizations skip the Mental Skills component of performance. Not here at TeamWILD. I was terrified of low blood sugars, so much that it stopped me from going out on long bike rides. Even after I intellectually understood how to make adjustments, it wasn’t until I worked with a Mental Skills coach that I really got to the bottom of my anxiety about performance and diabetes, did I gain the needed confidence to trust my knowledge.
Ginger Vieira is incredible. She is the TeamWILD Mental Skills Coach. Click here to read Ginger’s bio.
“Why TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs Work for Diabetics Like You and Me”
If you’ve read this far, you’re probably asking yourself if one of the TeamWILD Cycling Training Programs will work for you, right? Here’s the thing: I believe that if you want to ride in a cycling event and you are the least bit wanting to know more about your diabetes while you do the event, then this will work for you. I have figured out all the elements that you need to finally, once and for all, get all the right people working together and with you and your bike.
You are worth it!
In WILD Wellness,
Mari Ruddy, Director of TeamWILD