TeamWILD Run Training Programs
REGISTRATION is OPEN!
Please read through this page to learn how TeamWILD Run Programs are incredible and serve men and women with diabetes!
Integrated Run Training Programs for Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10K distances
TeamWILD is a transformative, integrated approach to success for the athlete who has diabetes – YOU!
Runners of all abilities are encouraged to participate!
From The Desk Of: Mari Ruddy, Team WILD Director
Date: Thursday, Jul 31, 2014
Dear Aspiring or Experienced Runner,
Do you want to better understand how to train for an endurance running event with diabetes? Have you ever been afraid to go out on a long run because you weren’t sure about how to manage your blood sugars with your nutrition needs? In fact, do you ever wonder, what are your nutritional needs on a run? Have you ever wished you had a run coach that would tell you what to do each week as you train for your event?
Believe me, I can relate. I wanted that for so long. I’ve had diabetes for 30 years and I have felt very alone about my diabetes and my endurance sports. I was alone and confused. My a1c was really bad, over 12, in fact. Over the years, doing events, I made so many mistakes, I’m almost embarrassed to admit it to you. For such a long time I didn’t think I was a good enough athlete to get help or to get a coach, so I just kept struggling alone for a long time. I don’t want that for you.
Fortunately for me (and now you), I found a way to solve these problems. I started a lifelong journey to find the right people, the right diabetes experts, the right run coaches. I wanted people who would work together to help me understand the complexities of diabetes and exercise. I wanted experts who would listen to me and help me understand how to eat, how to manage my medications, who would help me become a stronger more efficient runner, and who would not make fun of me or make me feel stupid when I made a mistake or didn’t understand.
I figured out a way to put it all together into an integrated, simple to use, program for you. You will get the program in your email inbox every week you are in training for your event. You get information from your TeamWILD run coach, from your expert, certified diabetes coach, from your nutrition coach and periodically from your mental skills coach. And you get to write to them as often as you need to, to get support to get you to that start line and if you want, to help you improve your performance. I figured out how to make it feel personal and make it accessible from wherever in the world you are, getting ready to run!
“How TeamWILD Run Training Programs Help You … “
Here’s a quick recap of how TeamWILD Run Training Programs work:
Choose your distance, and TeamWILD will train you for 18 weeks, 16 weeks or 14 weeks – it all depends on the distance of your running event
We have programs for those who want to participate in a Marathon (26.2 miles), Half Marathon (13.1 miles) or 10k run/walk events.
- The TeamWILD Marathon training programs are 18 weeks.
- The TeamWILD Half Marathon programs are 16 weeks.
- The TeamWILD 10K Run programs are 14 weeks.
Tell us about your athletic background and what your goals are for your event – at the marathon level, we support FINISHERS and COMPETITORS!
Once you sign up for one of our programs, we call you a TeamWILD athlete. We believe that running success begins with the mental attitude you have. I learned this is a system of thinking that changed my life, so we offer it to you. Be an athlete first!
We have two levels for the Marathon Run training program and one level for the Half Marathon and 10K level training programs.
FINISHER. Finishers are those runners who will be doing a marathon for the first time and your goal is to finish happy, strong, with good to excellent diabetes management. And you finish wanting to do it another time.
COMPETITOR. Competitors are those of you who have done at least one marathon before, and your goal is to improve your time, improve your strength, to master your diabetes management and nutrition strategies. Competitors want to improve performance.
Marathon and Half Marathoners: TIME YOU NEED each week for Training. For the marathon and half marathon distances, you need to have between 4 to 12 hours per week for the duration of the training program that you can dedicate to time in training.
For the 10K Run training program we support FINISHERS. Our expectation for this level is that you can run at least 10 minutes without stopping. This is an excellent next step after completing the WILDfit program. We will help you build from there to being able to complete your 10K run event with great diabetes and nutrition strategies!
Tell us when your event will be, this will tell us when you need to start your TeamWILD Run Training Program
We want to know what your event is and when it will be held. We can then count backwards from your event day the number of weeks that the training program will be, and that will tell us your training program START DATE. All TeamWILD Run training programs start on a Sunday.
Here are three examples of how this works:
- Jenna plans to participate in the Portland Marathon, on October 6, 2013. She needs 18 weeks for her training program. Thus, she will start her training program on Sunday, June 2, 2012.
- Bridget plans to run a half-marathon in Louisville, KY on April 27, 2013. She needs 16 weeks for the training program. Thus, she will start on Sunday, January 13, 2013.
- Scott plans to run the Bolder Boulder 10K on Memorial Day, May 27, 2013. He needs 14 weeks for the program. Thus, he started his program on Sunday, February 17, 2013.
Important Note: You can purchase your program any time BEFORE your training period begins. In the Registration Process you will select your program START date!!
What the Training Programs Look Like & What you get each week
Once you go through the Registration and Intake Process and you are placed in the correct program, and we know your start day and the start day has arrived, your TeamWILD Run Training Program will begin!
Sample a training week for one of our cycling programs. Running programs are similar, although you’ll be getting your athletic training from Coach Chris Navin and it won’t involve two wheels (or any wheels).
Each week, you get these things in your email inbox:
1. Written Run Training plans from our TeamWILD running coach. Coach Chris will tell you runs you should do each week. All the terms used are explained and there are even weekly videos that accompany the plans, so throughout the season you will get to know your coach. He will explain the drills and the concepts he will teach you. Such things as dynamic warmup drills, threshold runs, fartleks, heart rate zone training, periodization, and how to do active recovery are covered.
2. Diabetes Training as diabetes education relates to endurance sports and running. Each week there is a mini-lesson about something related to increasing your knowledge, comfort and strategies for your diabetes management when you run. Such things as basal testing, dialing in your medications, understanding the actions of insulin, understanding how exercise helps with blood sugar control, predicting and responding to low blood sugars and high blood sugars and much more are covered. Materials will address issues for those using insulin and those who control their diabetes with oral agents or no medication. There are written materials and videos from the diabetes team, all of whom are certified diabetes educators with deep and wide knowledge about endurance sports and diabetes. Each week there will be an ACTION ITEM for you to practice while doing your runs.
3. Nutrition Training is presented each week, since nutrition and hydration are critical components for any endurance athlete, especially those of us with diabetes. The TeamWILD nutrition coaches will give you written lessons and video lessons each week to help you understand how to maximize your diabetes and running performance for your event.
4. Mental Skills Clinics. Endurance sports are as much a mental game as a physical game. Every top level Olympic athlete considers and most use visualization, goal setting, breathing techniques and mental training. At TeamWILD we believe athletes (YOU ARE AN ATHLETE IF YOU’VE READ THIS FAR!) with diabetes need to work on their mind as much as their body. So three times throughout your training program you will get a special training clinic from our Mental Skills Coach Ginger Vieira. She will help you set your goals, keep you motivated and help you learn about the power of your mind in increasing performance.
A few important things you get with TeamWILD Run Training Programs…
- Unlimited email support from the TeamWILD athletic, diabetes and nutrition coaches. Yes, you read that correctly. It’s our first year and we don’t really know exactly how much support you, our TeamWILD athletes, will need, so we built it into our start-up plan to provide as much support as you might need. That said, we do not intend or want to replace your home diabetes management team. In fact, we expect you at home, to have a fully functioning team that supports your athletic pursuits. We are a compliment and a support to your health, wellness and fitness. And our goal is to answer your questions, and coach you to the finish line of your event.
- Membership site access to TeamWILD resources, athletes, and coaches. We’re putting together a membership site that will have all kinds of resources about diabetes and endurance sports. We’ll also have videos of veteran TeamWILD athletes sharing various training and racing tips, as well as forums for current athletes to discuss their training and other topics with each other, with input from the athletic and diabetes coaches.
- Live teleseminar with the TeamWILD athletic, diabetes and nutrition coaches. Once again, you read that correctly. Once we have critical mass and there are a bunch of you doing the programs, we will invite you to at least one live teleseminar with your coaches during your training program. There is no additional cost to attend these teleseminar, all you have to do in order to attend is have a question for the staff. You will submit your question when you sign up! We will record all the teleseminars and keep an open library of the recordings for you while you are enrolled in the training program.
- Teamy Goodness groups. We believe in the power of a team, so we have a few different ways that we will connect you to other athletes in your sport.
A few other important things about TeamWILD Run Training Programs
You will be trained by one of the best run coaches ever.
I mentioned that I personally am rather particular about the people I want to coach me. Because of that, I wanted to bring you an experienced and enthusiastic running coach who’s trained a wide range of athletes. I’ve hired just that coach — he’s Chris Navin! As an added bonus, Chris even has experience training diabetic athletes in his years as a running and triathlon coach.
You will learn from the incredible TeamWILD Diabetes Coaches
Like I have said over and over again, I went out to find the best for me and for you. The key to all of this is an incredible athletic coach and incredible diabetes educators. The diabetes coaching team TeamWILD has assembled is unmatched. You can read about them all on their bios on the TeamWILD website. Here are a few quick highlights about each of these amazing coaches.
Marcey Robinson – Marcey has tons of energy, passion, and she is super knowledgable. She is an incredible teacher, she is a wealth of resources, she explains things well and super clearly, she is approachable, and she is herself an athlete. She is first a cyclist, and in fact did some competitive mountain biking back in the day. After a season with Marcey, you will love carbs and understand why. Marcey has incredible knowledge about exercise physiology and it is from that basis that she will teach you to understand what is going on in your body as you learn incredibly useful information about how to master your diabetes care on the bike. She is an expert in type 2 and type 1 diabetes.
Jenny Smith – Jenny is super smart too (I only hire super smart people, so you know!) Thus she is knowledgable about type 2 and type1 diabetes. Jenny is calm yet very passionate about helping people with diabetes get the information and skills they need to be empowered athletes. Jenny is herself living successfully with type 1 diabetes. She is an athlete, in fact was on the first TeamWILD team and is a 70.3 finisher, and a marathoner. She understands special needs diets and she is a plant-based vegan and a gifted cook. One of Jenny’s loves is diabetes data analysis.
Meet one of your diabetes team. This is Jenny Smith!
Mental Skills Give You Confidence & Boost Your Performance
Lots of other organizations skip the Mental Skills component of performance. Not here at TeamWILD. I was terrified of low blood sugars, so much that it stopped me from going out on long bike rides. Even after I intellectually understood how to make adjustments, it wasn’t until I worked with a Mental Skills coach that I really got to the bottom of my anxiety about performance and diabetes, did I gain the needed confidence to trust my knowledge.
Ginger Vieira is incredible. She is the TeamWILD Mental Skills Coach. Click here to read Ginger’s bio.
“Why TeamWILD Run Training Programs Work for Diabetics Like You and Me”
If you’ve read this far, you’re probably asking yourself if one of the TeamWILD Run Training Programs will work for you, right? Here’s the thing: I believe that if you want to run in an event and you are the least bit wanting to know more about your diabetes while you do the event, then this will work for you. I have figured out all the elements that you need to finally, once and for all, get all the right people working together and with you.
You are worth it!
In WILD Wellness,
Mari Ruddy, Director of TeamWILD